Apollo Hospitals Group is at the
Forefront of Medical Tourism To make India the Global Healthcare Destination
"Our mission is to bring healthcare of international standards within
the reach of every individual. We are committed to the achievement and
maintenance of excellence in education, research and healthcare for the
benefit of humanity.
Dr. Prathap C Reddy, Founder & Chairman, Apollo Hospitals Group.
The Indian healthcare market is Rs. 15 billion and growing at over 30 %
every year. Indian private hospitals are increasingly finding a mention in
the travel itineraries of foreigners, with the trend of medical tourism
catching up in the country. If industry estimates are to be believed, the
size of the medical tourism industry stands at Rs 1,200 - Rs 1,500 crore
(Rs. 12-15 billion).
A recent CII-McKinsey study on Indian healthcare says medical tourism alone
can contribute Rs 5,000- Rs 10,000 crore (Rs. 50-100 billion) additional
revenue for tertiary hospitals by 2012, and will account for 3-5 % of the
total healthcare delivery market. Compared to countries like the UK or the
US, procedures like heart bypass surgery or angioplasty come at a fraction
of the cost in India, even though the quality of doctors and medical
equipment is comparable to the best in the world.
A heart bypass surgery in India costs USD 6,500, while in the US it costs
between USD 30,000 and USD 80,000. This is a huge, untapped market, not just
for therapeutic medical tourism like ayurveda, but also for curative
treatment. Most of the Apollo Hospitals Doctors are trained or specialized
in UK, USA, Australia etc. and compare with the best in the world, in their
India can lead the world in medical and health tourism since we have a
tremendous advantage with a large pool of skilled manpower and technological
edge. One million health tourists per annum could contribute up to US$ 5
billion of tourism revenue to the Indian economy.
Led by Apollo Hospitals Group, Indian Healthcare today has developed
International delivery capabilities and has demonstrated International
excellence in all specialties with major cost advantages for people from
Apollo Hospitals has successfully treated over 60000 foreign patients from
across the world in last five years and the numbers are looking up every
year. NHS, UK alone has over a million patients waiting to be treated.
Thousands of uninsured American now have the option to come to Apollo
Hospitals for tertiary care needs. Similarly Africa, Middle East, CIS
Countries in Central Asia and South East Asia present huge opportunities.
At Apollo Hospitals we strongly believe that India will find its rightful
place as the Global Healthcare Destination of the world. We are constantly
striving to enhance our infrastructure and facilities to offer our patients,
the assurance of a world-class healthcare system that emphasizes safety and
pushes the boundaries of excellence.
Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi has been accredited by Joint
Commission International (JCI) USA, as the first Internationally Accredited
Hospital in India. An accredited hospital assures the best practices in a
safe environment and that the patient is in safe hands. JCI
accreditation is the Gold Standard for US and European hospitals as it
reflects provision of the highest levels of patient care and patient safety.
Listed below are a few main achievements of the Apollo
- Largest healthcare provider in Asia managing over 10000 beds and 50
- Apollo Delhi is the first hospital in India to be accredited by Joint
Commission International (JCI), USA. Apollo Chennai, Apollo Hyderabad
and Apollo Bangalore have also received JCI accreditation.
- Done over 100000 cardiac surgeries with over 99.6% success rate.
- The first successful Liver Transplant program in this part of the
- The most modern and largest Dialysis unit in India.
- Done over 10000 Renal Transplants.
- Pioneers in many Orthopedic procedures like Hip and Knee
- Specialise in Birmingham Hip Resurfacing & Disc Replacements.
- Done over 300 Bone Marrow Transplants.
- Advanced Bariatric Surgery Program at Chennai and Delhi.
- Most active Medical Air Evacuation Program and Emergency Services.
- First 3 Tesla MRI to be installed in Delhi City at Apollo Delhi.
- The first PET-CT (16 slice) installed and commissioned at Apollo
Hyderabad to help promote our country as a leading Cancer Management
- All the main Apollo Group Hospitals have installed the 64 slice CT
Scan that enables angiography procedure in a few seconds without any
- Tele-medicine network in India and overseas.
- First 320 slice CT in india at Apollo Chennai